Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter storage question
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if its important to keep my motorcycle in a heated indoor storage? I rent a basement suite and i have a large covered area and it is enough that the bike will not get wet from the rain, i have a motorcycle cover and winter mode is in effect.

am i doing enough to keep my bike safe from the winter weather? or do i have to roll my bike in my living room? (i don't think the woman will be too happy about that).

LMK thanks!
As long as you have done everything else necessary to prepare your bike for storage (ie. Changed oil/filter, put battery on a tender, added fuel stabilizer... etc), leaving your bike in a heated area is not really required but is nice to have if you have the option.

I also live in a basement suite and don't have any practical heated area to store my bike, so I leave her covered and winter prepped in an un-heated area. I just made sure I did everything else to prepare her for winter before putting her away, which is way more important than storing her in a heated area.

For added piece of mind, you may spray corrosion inhibiting agents on your chrome pieces (ie. shock struts) such as WD-40 to prevent rusting and place cardboard/carpet/wood blocks under the tires to get it off the cold floor. And don't forget to invest in a good bike lock!
10Forward Wrote:As long as you have done everything else necessary to prepare your bike for storage (ie. Changed oil/filter, put battery on a tender, added fuel stabilizer... etc), leaving your bike in a heated area is not really required but is nice to have if you have the option.

I also live in a basement suite and don't have any practical heated area to store my bike, so I leave her covered and winter prepped in an un-heated area. I just made sure I did everything else to prepare her for winter before putting her away, which is way more important than storing her in a heated area.

For added piece of mind, you may spray corrosion inhibiting agents on your chrome pieces (ie. shock struts) such as WD-40 to prevent rusting and place cardboard/carpet/wood blocks under the tires to get it off the cold floor. And don't forget to invest in a good bike lock!

nice thanks, yeah been looking online about outdoor storage of motorcycles, it does not get too cold here in Vancouver, but it gets pretty wet and moisture lingers.

as for security i have a doberman that sits beside my bike hehe, its all chained up and locked up.
If your storage location is bare concrete, use a piece of plywood, MDF, or old thick carpet. This will insulate the bike from becoming damp. Also consider storing your bike with all the weight removed from the wheels. A bike stand or some blocking works if you have a wheeled lift. A center stand and some blocking will work too. Do not store your bike near any ozone emitting devices, such as motors, freezers, furnaces or electric heaters. The gasses created by the above will deteriorate rubber parts.

(and if you need tips on properly winterizing, I wrote a post about it, albeit belated: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ridingjezebel.com/2012/01/23/storing-your-bike-properly-during-the-off-season/">http://ridingjezebel.com/2012/01/23/sto ... ff-season/</a><!-- m -->)