Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance 101 - Reviews!
This course was awesome! You learn everything from clutch/brake adjustments, to tire pressures, to chain specs! Real good as a basis to take care of your bike the right way.

Thanks to Bernie for informing all us newbs on the priceless info to ride safe.
ncrivici Wrote:This course was awesome! You learn everything from clutch/brake adjustments, to tire pressures, to chain specs! Real good as a basis to take care of your bike the right way.

Thanks to Bernie for informing all us newbs on the priceless info to ride safe.

Hey, thanks for the thumbs up! It's a lot to take in for 4 hours, so I'm glad you found it worthwhile.
Cheers!
Bernie
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com
I really enjoyed the course. I learned quite a bit about basic care and maintenance if my new 2 wheel toy! Even having a good background knowledge of auto mechanics i found this very useful. You can take a lot of things for granted in the 4 wheel variety, which is so much more important on a bike, ie tires
Thanks again Bernie

And you totally called me out on the neighbor hater exhaust for your example, without even seeing my bike lol! It went on a couple weeks back, but its not louder than my mustang so the neighbors are cool with it
Just an FYI, PRS will be offering the Maintenance 101 and 201 again in 2015.
The only way to get notified about time and date is to email PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com !
Both courses are 4 hours long.
In the 101 ($50) you learn the whys and hows of motorcycle maintenance.
In the 201 ($100) you practice what you learned on your own bike!

Fear not, it's set up specifically for PRS students, in an easy to understand friendly format ;-)
From tires, oil and brakes to controls, it's the basics of what you should know if you want to ride.

Excellent course with Bernie. Very passionate and knowledgeable guy. I'm not mechanical, but it gave me understanding and confidence and the basics on what to look for. I expect I'll take the 201 course with him as well. Highly recommended for anyone.
Thanks for the class Bernie.

I learned that when I down shift I need to do it firmly...tick tick tick...bad

Always use crush washers, where to get a good drain pan, battery storage, lever adjustment, sprocket wear, value of spare fuses, value of keeping forks clean, foot control adjustment

That's a lot in 4 hours. Highly recommended.

Thanks again,
Leigh
Great course, another excellent value from PRS, I highly recommend it.

I found that lubing a chain is easy; lubing without making a mess is not as easy.
Adjusting chain tension is easy; replacing the axle cotter pin so it doesn't snag things is not as easy.
I bought a 9 year old bike (15k km). Surprise, 9 year old tires!
I now have a great used oil container ready for the winter oil change.
After much searching my bike doesn't have a fuse box or panel, it has a fuse. One fuse.

Question for Bernie.
I checked the front brake fluid in the window and it was at the very top. I then adjusted my brake lever "down" which moved the angle of the fluid so it now shows at the lower limit.
Is there a correct "level" for the reservoir (does it need to be parallel to the ground), or do I just get comfortable knowing there is enough fluid?

Will likely take the 201 course.
I'm glad to be of help!
What's the bike, and I'll find the other fuses for you ;-)

If it is above the 'min' mark on the reservoir, with it level (however you have to turn the bars and lean the bike, then it should be good.
You would have to have it at an obscene angle for it to cause you problems with the level at the top when the reservoir is leveled parallel to the ground.

Extremely valuable introductory course for riders new and seasoned! Bernie is a wealth of knowledge and made it easy to understand the critical components of a motorcycle for basic maintenance and more importantly how to know when maintenance is required. From tire pressure and chain tension to clutch lever adjustments and battery maintenance, there is a lot packed into 4 hours.

I now feel comfortable to do a more in-depth safety check of my bike and routine upkeep like oil changes and minor adjustments to breaks, clutch and chain. I may not end up doing the bulk of work on my Strom, but I sure am glad to have an understanding of what to look for to keep my bike healthy and me safe out on the road.

This course is full of great tips and well worth the small fee for 4 hours with an experienced rider and certified mechanic. I would consider this a must-do for any rider!
The maintenance class 101 was awesome! It was a lot to take in for 4 hours but for sure you will get a lot of basic care and maintenance that everybody should know. Highly recommended.

Bernie was wonderful, very knowledgeable and passionate. Thanks so much Bernie and keep up the good work.

Looking forward to Maintenance class 201 Big Grin Big Grin
Mahboobeh Wrote:The maintenance class 101 was awesome! It was a lot to take in for 4 hours but for sure you will get a lot of basic care and maintenance that everybody should know. Highly recommended.

Bernie was wonderful, very knowledgeable and passionate. Thanks so much Bernie and keep up the good work.

Looking forward to Maintenance class 201 Big Grin Big Grin

It was a great class!
And like you said, highly recommended for sure.

I learned that I was doing many things the wrong way, and thanks to Bernie that won't happen again. Good thing for my bike and my safety.
Thank you very much! My little ego is happy ;-)

Highly recommend. Packed full of practical tips and info to keep our bikes safe and make them last on a budget. I left with the courage to do my own basic maintenance and that there's no shame on calling on the pros when needed. Well worth the $50.

Plus the whole approach at Pacific Riding School seems to come from a love of bikes and riding first and making money second. Cool.
Bernie's course should be worth more than $50. Highly recommended! 11/10. Also he claims he doesn't email much but if you have any questions he'll respond. Wink

Learned a lot I did not previously know or consider. Lots of helpful tips I will always think about when wanting to do any servicing. Definitely left me wanting to do the 201!
I took the Maintenance 101 last Saturday and it is incredible value for the money. I learned much more than I expected to and it was a good time also. Bernie is a fun, engaging teacher and his passion for bikes and engineering is great. I'll be taking the 201 for sure.
My son and I sure got a lot out of this weekends Maintenance 101 course : ) Thank you Bernie!

I really appreciate Bernie's great way of explaining and demonstrating the "hows" and also the "whys" of properly setting up and maintaining your bike : )

Very useful, relevant information for riders presented by a great, enthusiastic teacher - awesome stuff.

Highly recommend your course. Thanks again Bernie and PRS!

Dave
Really enjoyed Maintenance 101 last week, makes me a bit more comfortable with the maintenance aspec of owning a bike. A lot to take in especially the storing of the bike during winter (a concept that is totally foreign for new rider who always drives car).
Enjoying the casual class atmosphere and still learn something important.
Thank you again Bernie hope to see you in 201 class (but maybe after I have my first service with Burnaby Kawi first)

Jemmy
Thanks Bernie for the maintenance 101 last weekend. Really liked being able to see inside everything and getting a good explanation about how it all works. Amazing. Can't wait for 201!
Sarah