Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance 201 - What tasks I've learnt & things to buy to repeat those tasks
Hi PRS, I just took the maintenance 201 class this past Sunday (I am the guy with the Kawasaki ZZR600) and I just wanted to share my experience and ask some questions.

What I learnt and accomplished from the class:

- Checking and adjusting tire pressures
- Changing the oil & filter
- Greasing the clutch and brake levers
- Lube the chains
- Adjusting the slack of the chain
- Adding fluid to the clutch cable? (Not sure the exact term for this)

We only have 4 hours and I am not sure what other people would expect to accomplish in 4 hours, but I'm satisfied for accomplishing everything listed above while not screwing anything up. I think other classmates were able to learn how to remove and check the battery as well but I blame myself for not being able to do things quick enough.

Overall I am really happy with the experience in the course. As someone who has pretty much 0 knowledge in motorcycle maintenance, the baby steps really helped me from being afraid to mess things up and end up not doing anything at all, to at least trying and accomplishing something, so I'm really grateful for this experience and for Bernie to tolerate the simplest and dumbest questions :lol: .

Now I just wanted to learn the terms/product names of the things that I used in class and would have to buy if I want to repeat the tasks that I did in class.

List of things that I remember I need to buy to redo the tasks listed above (and some questions to make sure I get the right things):

- Grease for greasing the brake and clutch levers - what's the name for this? I went to CT and found different kinds of grease like lithium grease and silicone grease. I'm not sure what to buy to accomplish the job just like I did in class

- Clutch grease/oil? - the spray that Bernie used to spray through the clutch cable (I remember he also used a tiny metal tool and spray the grease/oil through it?) what are those called exactly?

- Chain Lube -just wanted to make sure do they have lubes specifically for motorcycle chains or will most advertised as "lube" do the job? I saw different kinds of lubes like"multi purpose lube" and "silicone lubricant" to name a few in CT.

- Engine oil - what is the number for it if I want to use the same oil in the future just to be consistent?

- Filter socket and plug gasket - I asked Bernie about these in class

- Tools

A bit of a long post, for a TL;DR read the title and the bullet points that I bolded.

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone interested in learning to maintain their motorcycles. Thanks PRS and Bernie for the opportunity.

Safe riding everybody Wink
zzr600 Wrote:Hi PRS, I just took the maintenance 201 class this past Sunday (I am the guy with the Kawasaki ZZR600) and I just wanted to share my experience and ask some questions.

What I learnt and accomplished from the class:

- Checking and adjusting tire pressures
- Changing the oil & filter
- Greasing the clutch and brake levers
- Lube the chains
- Adjusting the slack of the chain
- Adding fluid to the clutch cable? (Not sure the exact term for this)
lube the clutch cable, with 'cable' lube

We only have 4 hours and I am not sure what other people would expect to accomplish in 4 hours, but I'm satisfied for accomplishing everything listed above while not screwing anything up. I think other classmates were able to learn how to remove and check the battery as well but I blame myself for not being able to do things quick enough. [b]it's a learning course, don't be critical on yourself!![/b]

Overall I am really happy with the experience in the course. As someone who has pretty much 0 knowledge in motorcycle maintenance, the baby steps really helped me from being afraid to mess things up and end up not doing anything at all, to at least trying and accomplishing something, so I'm really grateful for this experience and for Bernie to tolerate the simplest and dumbest questions :lol: .

Now I just wanted to learn the terms/product names of the things that I used in class and would have to buy if I want to repeat the tasks that I did in class.

List of things that I remember I need to buy to redo the tasks listed above (and some questions to make sure I get the right things):

- Grease for greasing the brake and clutch levers - what's the name for this? I went to CT and found different kinds of grease like lithium grease and silicone grease. I'm not sure what to buy to accomplish the job just like I did in classwheel bearing grease works great

- Clutch grease/oil? - the spray that Bernie used to spray through the clutch cable (I remember he also used a tiny metal tool and spray the grease/oil through it?) what are those called exactly? cable lube, not to be confused with chain lube

- Chain Lube -just wanted to make sure do they have lubes specifically for motorcycle chains or will most advertised as "lube" do the job? I saw different kinds of lubes like"multi purpose lube" and "silicone lubricant" to name a few in CT. my favorite is Maxima synthetic, but any is better than none!

- Engine oil - what is the number for it if I want to use the same oil in the future just to be consistent? my steady is Motul 10W40 semi-synthetic, but there are lots of good choices

- Filter socket and plug gasket - I asked Bernie about these in class most shops sell the sockets. the plug gaskets should also be available at every shop, but they might need to know the size

- Tools the kit under the seat is crap, spend a few bucks (not much) and thus don't butcher your bike![/b]

A bit of a long post, for a [b]TL;DR
read the title and the bullet points that I bolded.

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone interested in learning to maintain their motorcycles. Thanks PRS and Bernie for the opportunity.

Safe riding everybody Wink
BC Children's Hospital Foundation Balding for Dollars

Email Bernie: PRSMechanic(at)hotmail(dot)com
Super helpful!